What a yr! With you and fellow MoveOn members, we have been in a position to efficiently forestall a MAGA Republican “pink wave” and win important elections whereas passing game-changing laws—all in a political atmosphere formed by darkish cash, disinformation, and right-wing structural benefits. Whereas it was a difficult yr on many fronts, it was additionally one marked by historic achievements—a lot of which hundreds of thousands of MoveOn members helped make occur with our people-powered, grassroots work.
We prevented a pink wave, expanded the Democratic Senate majority, and elected governors and secretaries of state who will defend democracy:
- We helped reelect Senator Raphael Warnock and helped John Fetterman win the Pennsylvania Senate race.
- We elected secretaries of state and governors in states vital to the 2024 presidential election, defeating all essentially the most excessive, Trump-backed election deniers for workplaces that assist run elections.
- MoveOn members remodeled 1 million cellphone calls, donated greater than $1 million on to candidates in vital races, and endorsed almost 100 Democrats and progressive champions for Senate, Home of Representatives, governorships, and secretaries of state.
You possibly can learn the complete MoveOn 2022 Election Report right here.
We put wind within the sails of Congress to have probably the most productive classes in historical past and pushed the Biden administration to make use of its energy to make this economic system work for all of us, not simply the superwealthy:
- Democrats in Congress handed the Inflation Discount Act, which can cap out-of-pocket bills for pharmaceuticals for Individuals on Medicare, make a historic funding in inexperienced jobs and our local weather future, and make firms pay extra of their justifiable share.
- This was probably the most productive classes of Congress in a long time—and even within the remaining days of Congress, we noticed the passage of the Respect for Marriage Act to stop an illegitimate right-wing Supreme Courtroom from undoing federally acknowledged equality for same-sex and interracial marriages.
- Our rallies, petitions, letters to the editor, actions on Capitol Hill, and ongoing advocacy helped result in President Biden’s historic announcement to cancel vital quantities of scholar debt which has been weighing down our economic system.
We confirmed up for abortion rights and entry all year long and on the poll field:
- When the illegitimate, Trump-packed Supreme Courtroom overturned the protections of Roe, a whole bunch of 1000’s of MoveOn members took the “Our Our bodies. Our Vote.” pledge to defeat Republicans in November.
- We invested in hard-hitting messaging and advertisements that put abortion rights entrance and middle in key races and bolstered Democrats who have been keen to make this a central problem in 2022.
- We continued to “Roe the Vote”—with actions and birddogging across the nation and with movies highlighting the voices of MoveOn members.
We continued to carry Trump accountable, inform the reality concerning the lethal January 6 revolt, and combat in opposition to the sources of MAGA disinformation:
- We fought again in opposition to the corruption of Clarence Thomas, who has refused to recuse himself from circumstances that contact on his spouse’s involvement within the tried coup, as greater than 1 million of us referred to as for his impeachment, delivered the petitions to Capitol Hill, and ran advertisements in newspapers about his unfitness to serve.
- We ran campaigns in opposition to Common Motors, Apple, and different firms to power them to interrupt ties with and assist of the Republicans who have been a part of the lethal revolt and makes an attempt to overturn the election—and helped win the marketing campaign for AT&T to cease funding One America Community, a significant right-wing supply of disinformation on January 6 and the pandemic.
- We lifted up the work of the January 6 committee, serving to their findings lower by disinformation and media noise and calling on them to make prison referrals, which they did simply this previous week.
- After defeating Trump’s MAGA candidates for secretary of state, we ready to tackle Trump himself—assembly his marketing campaign announcement with our personal marketing campaign to defeat him on the poll field whereas holding him accountable for his crimes, as a result of no one is above the regulation.
We did all of this our means—with grassroots donations, people-powered motion, member-driven campaigns, strategic partnerships, and cross-movement collaboration. Thousands and thousands of MoveOn members took motion this yr—from signing petitions to calling Congress to exhibiting up within the streets to collaborating in voter outreach and a lot extra. And we have been powered by hundreds of thousands of grassroots donations, with a mean reward of below $15.
And that’s not all. All year long, MoveOn members took to the streets, the telephones, the steps of the Capitol, their native city squares and congressional workplaces, the airwaves, the pages of native newspapers, and social media to energy progressive change, make historical past, and stand with communities below assault by the proper wing.
MoveOn members fought to move legal guidelines, to maintain strain up for congressional and administrative motion for an America that works for all, and to safe a historic affirmation to the Supreme Courtroom:
- A whole lot of 1000’s of MoveOn members took motion to assist the affirmation of Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson and to rejoice the historic affirmation of this distinctive decide. On the similar time, MoveOn members lifted up the decision to develop and rebalance the court docket in an effort to counter the affect of right-wing court-packing and restore integrity to the establishment.
- MoveOn members pushed Democrats to move the primary gun security legal guidelines in a long time, the Emmett Until Antilynching Act, assist for veterans’ well being, and reforms to strengthen the Postal Service.
- Members have continued to work with Dreamers to make DACA everlasting and assist our immigrant neighbors in opposition to anti-immigrant coverage and bias.
- From combating for nominees to the Federal Reserve Board to backing up the antitrust work of the Federal Commerce Fee, MoveOn members fought alongside champions in authorities who’re in search of to rein in company energy and put customers first.
MoveOn members mobilized across the nation when the proper wing attacked our rights, freedoms, and communities:
- MoveOn members took to the streets with Deliberate Parenthood and different nationwide allies to host greater than 1,000 “Bans Off Our Our bodies” rallies with greater than 1 million contributors in Could and June—whereas additionally elevating funds straight for abortion suppliers in states the place Republicans handed the harshest legal guidelines to disclaim pregnant folks the well being care they want.
- As Texas, Florida, and different states attacked trans youth and their households, MoveOn members labored straight with state-based allies to combat in opposition to these assaults. In mild of the continued assaults on LGBTQ+ communities, we launched Technology Rainbow, a web site devoted to launching and supporting petitions centered on LGBTQ+ equality, rights, and respect.
- When right-wing activists ramped up their ebook bans, almost 200,000 MoveOn members demanded faculty districts not ban books concerning the Holocaust, and a whole bunch of 1000’s extra took motion to push again in opposition to different bans making an attempt to censor books on slavery, gender, racial justice, and extra.
- After the massacres in Buffalo and Uvalde, we took motion to tackle the interlocking cultures of white supremacy and gun violence—with petitions in opposition to Tucker Carlson’s white supremacist rantings on Fox Information and actions in opposition to the NRA’s conference in Texas simply days after the Uvalde faculty capturing.
MoveOn members took motion in solidarity in opposition to militarism and for freedom all over the world:
- After Putin launched a devastating and unfounded warfare on Ukraine, MoveOn members donated greater than $1 million to aid organizations and took motion to advertise diplomacy and present solidarity with the folks of Ukraine.
- MoveOn members referred to as on the American media to do higher across the rebellion in Iran, to middle the voices of ladies and younger people who find themselves main the rebellion, and to cease spreading misinformation that bolsters the present regime.
Throughout these measures, hundreds of thousands of MoveOn members signed petitions, organized petition deliveries, wrote op-eds, made tens of 1000’s of cellphone calls, and made certain the slimmest Democratic majority had people-powered activism propelling it ahead.
MoveOn is its members. Our work in 2022 is a testomony to what all of us have carried out collectively and a promise of what we are able to do collectively. So THANK YOU for being a part of this work and this neighborhood this yr!
We all know that MAGA has been broken however isn’t defeated. We all know that the risks of white supremacy, disinformation, and company energy proceed to affect our democracy, our society, and our day by day lives.
We additionally know that when all of us work collectively, we are able to obtain large, highly effective victories. MoveOn’s membership represents a broad base of fellow Individuals dedicated to justice. Collectively, we’ll proceed to point out take care of our communities and construct the political energy wanted to impact longlasting change.
Thanks for all you do.